Printing Blog Not Allowed Texas Animal Sanctuary Underworld: The Ugly Early Years

May 8, 2009

The Ugly Early Years

All non-profits have their early years—some are proud to show off how they started and others would rather you did not know their ugly history. The pseudo-sanctuary definitely falls under the latter.

As you review the text and pictures, keep in mind the pseudo-sanctuary was founded in 1983. Also, for the eagle eyes out there, can you spot the beer can seen in one of the pictures below?

Below was a statement made to local law enforcement officers on February 15, 1988 by a concerned citizen. I have included some of the pictures she attached to her complaint and exerts from her submitted statement – names of both parties were omitted:

“I am hereby filling out and signing a complaint against [female pseudo-sanctuary director].

The residence where I first saw animals (exotic animals) was located on [omitted] Road between [omitted] + [omitted] Rd. It ran parallel to [omitted]. This residence is closer to [omitted] than [omitted]. I do not know the street number so I have drawn a map. While driving home on Dec 23rd 1987 I realized the animals I had been catching glimpses of (from [omitted]) were not large dogs but bears. My curiosity got the better of me and so Dec 27, 1987, I stopped at the house and asked about the animals. The guy that answered told me to call back later and ask for [omitted]. I did and ended up later on that day stopping by and getting a closer look at the animals. There were fifteen in all. They were as follows: 1 monkey; 2 Bobcats; 2 cougars; 1 AF Lion; 1 black bear; 2 Himalayan (Sun) Bears; 3 full-bred Timber Wolves; and 3 (1/2 breed) wolf hybrids. 2 of these are ½ timber/Female the 3rd hybrid is 5/16 artic/male. I have included in this complaint a map and approx sizing + placement of the cages and animals, at the old residence of [omitted].
My observations of the animals and their cages that first time seeing them (Dec 27) was; I was appalled. These animals cages reeked of feces, urine and rotting meat + food. Their cages were inadequate for their size. Some barely had room to really turn around in. I didn’t say much to [omitted] Dec 27 – I really didn’t know what to say. I found it unusual to find such animals that close to settled subdivisions and that one person owned them. I didn’t voice any opinion to [omitted] as I was on her property and she did own the animals (she said) I did stop by once or twice thereafter, I couldn’t get them (the animals) out of my mind. Then on the 3rd or 4th of January I realized that nobody was living in the house where the animals were. All that week I just kept an eye on the place and on Jan 9 I stopped by when I saw cars there and asked [omitted] if I could take pictures. She said sure. My husband was with me that time. I went back and started taking photos when I reached the wolf cage I noticed that the only pure white wolf in the cage had a mangled ear. The ear was hanging limply on the side of his head. It looked like a severe gash or cut in the part closest to the top of his skull. It was (the ear) covered with dirt and clotted blood. When [omitted] saw me looking at the ear, she said – “I let her out of exercise and she (the wolf) had gotten into the ½ breed’s cage and they didn’t like it so they got her in the ear.”

As an action of what I would like to happen, I don’t think that people who don’t know how to care for or have space (proper space) to maintain these kinds of animals should be allowed to have them. The animals were very wary, thin, had no running or hiding space in those cages. I would call them abused and neglected animals.

On 1-15-88 on the way home from work I stopped at the corner of [omitted] Road South + {omitted] to look at some puppies and the guy mentioned that he had just bought a full blooded wolf from a lady named [omitted] up the road a bit off [omitted]. Then on 1-18-88 when I stopped again he said she had called him and told him the wolf had been poisoned.

On 2-2-88 one of the Hymalayan Sun Bears had escaped and on 2-3-88 she ([omitted]) finally recaptured it. Meanwhile it was very close to a highly developed area of [omitted]. As a P.S. the animals (most of them) stayed on the old property for approx 3 weeks with nobody living in that house. I understand that now all the animals live at the new residence in “temporary” cages. Her new placed is also on [omitted] Road only closer to [omitted] Road.”


I have personally seen animals housed in similar conditions within the last 10 years at the pseudo-sanctuary. New arrivals were often kept in "transporters" housed in the trash/storage area until cage spaces opened up. I have seen cougars, tigers, servals, and domestic cats kept in this condition --which was absolutely heartbreaking.

The directors claim they love animals -- based on their early beginnings as exotic pet owners and breeders, their love for animals clearly does not show in the pictures, nor does it show in the extraordinary number of animal deaths within the last three years at the pseudo-sanctuary. And so the Ugly Years continues...