Printing Blog Not Allowed Texas Animal Sanctuary Underworld: Those Who Came Before Me...

May 7, 2007

Those Who Came Before Me...

Yes, there were others that came before me, but unfortunately no one took their stories seriously. Mainly because the directors were quick to have an explanation as to why the “disgruntled” employees/volunteers filed complaints against them. The first lady to file a complaint had strong evidence, but not enough to open up a formal investigation with the OAG. That’s where I come in…

For you see, I used to be a volunteer animal caretaker/board member at this place. I "worked" one day a week, normally on Sundays for about 4-6 hours at a time helping the only animal caretaker/tour guide on duty. I became suspicious of the care provided to the animals located on the main property. I was not allowed to visit the second property unless I had permission from the directors. I always thought it was strange, that as a board member, I was not allowed to go to the second site any time I wanted to check on the animals. It was not until I started my personal investigation I found out why I could not go to the second site unannounced. What I witnessed and what the other animal caretakers told me was shocking. I finally reached a point where I realized the animals were in danger and it appeared money was being misappropriated – I had to act quickly. I interviewed the workers and the attending veterinarians. Then I looked into the local government records. Immediately after I research the county’s records and discovered some very upsetting information, I decided to call an emergency board meeting in order to discuss the sanctuary’s problems. What I did not know at the time was the director decided I needed to “go,” and planned to get rid of me at the emergency board meeting. Needless to say, the meeting did not go well—the board members were not in the least interested in what I had to say. They were very confrontational and clearly on the side of the director. Since one board member lived in Florida and the other two board members rarely visited the site, they had no idea what was happening to the animals or the funds. The director told them what they wanted to hear and apparently that was good enough for them. I made the decision to quit the board because I could not be a party to what I discovered. However, this did not end my fiduciary responsibilities to the animals and the general public, so I collected my evidence, and notified the appropriate authorities. Sadly, the workers turned their backs on the animals and refused to defend them. I guess it was easier for them to believe the directors' stories that I was now a "bad" person, rather than to face up to the truth. When I asked one of the workers why she decided to support the directors rather than the animals, she told me "I can control her[director]...I will make sure she doesn't put them down..[two tigers and a lion]. I won't be able to protect them if I leave." Someone needs to tell her that control is just an illusion.

So I submitted the appropriate paperwork to the authorities and now I am waiting for the final results. Recently, I learned the Texas OAG, TCEQ, and the USDA/APHIS took my allegations seriously. Unfortunately, it will be a while longer before I receive the final reports. In the meantime, I can't help by wonder what will happen to the animals?

No comments: